My new Heisman Top 5, and the big Top Ten Power Poll
Written by Curt Popejoy on 11/08/2010
My new Heisman Top 5 starts to squarely pair up with the top teams in the country. Sadly, there are no dark horses this year like last season. As much as I'd love to drop some sleeper names in my list, this just isn't the year for it.
This top 5 is pretty chalk by my Heisman predictions, and I'm ok with it, so I hope you are too. On some level you have to go with the Heisman unwritten rule of best player on the best team. The real debate at this point is more about who the best team is I suppose.
5. Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State - I suppose if any guy qualifies as a sleeper it's Blackmon. He is such a good player, he just makes all the best CBs look silly week after week.
4. LaMichael James RB Oregon - On a team that racks up massive amounts of yards and points James is the trigger man. Easily the most explosive back in the nation, and the only back on my list.
3. Andy Dalton QB TCU -I don't like him. Just puttin' it out there. I cannot shake the image of him choking in the BCS bowl last year. That guy doesn't deserve a Heisman. But this season, he's been stellar and had a huge game against a grossly overrated Utah team, that will put him dead on the Heisman radar.
2. Cam Newton QB Auburn - Controversy, shmontroversy. This kid is a remarkable player, getting better every week, and is trying to cement a National Title bid for his Tigers. He likely wins or loses the trophy on November 26th, at Alabama.
1. Kellen Moore QB Boise State - My preseason pick and back at my no.1 spot. Statistically neither he or Dalton can matchup up to Newton's 3,000+ total yards and 34 total TDs, but Moore is completing nearly 72% of his passes, with a 21-4 TD to INT ratio and has only taken 2 sacks. If they keep winning, Moore and his lifetime achievement award will be waiting for him.
My New Top 10
4. Boise State
8. Ohio State
10. Oklahoma State
Last Edited: 11/08/2010