College Football Pre-Season Top 25
Written by Curt Popejoy on 06/07/2012
Preseason Top 25
1. Alabama-Even with their losses, they are still so talented on both sides of the football.
2. USC-Probably a national title contender last year if not for their sanctions. Should be in the thick of it all year long.
3. LSU-Another team that took significant losses in terms of personnel but looks ready to reload.
4. Oklahoma-There are questions on both sides of the football, but you can’t deny the passing attack promises to be explosive.
5. Oregon-This ranking could change greatly if the Ducks struggle to find someone to step in for Darron Thomas at quarterback.
6. Michigan-Have a funny feeling the Wolverines are going to keep up the momentum they started in 2011, and it’ll all hinge on quarterback Denard Robinson.
7. Georgia-You can never discount elite quarterback play and how it helps your team and Aaron Murray is one of the best in the country. But the real game changers here could be on defense.
8. Arkansas-Even with all the upheaval over the Bobby Petrino debacle, this team is stacked particularly on offense with quarterback Tyler Wilson and running back Knile Davis.
9. Kansas State-You have to just be amazed at what Bill Snyder did with this team last year. Getting his best players back, I expect them to play even better this season.
10. Florida State-Another team that has lots of athletes on defense, but will have to get consistent high levels of play from quarterback EJ Manuel.
11. South Carolina-Yep, another battle tested SEC team that returns most of its top players. They will be in the mix for the SEC title and a BCS Bowl all year.
12. West Virginia-Another team that will be a so goes their starting quarterback, so goes their team. Fortunately their schedule is pretty favorable and they should be some success in the Big 12.
13. Texas-I doubt you’ll see anyone else put Texas this high. Trust me, it hurt me too. But as I study them the more I am convinced that defense is going to be among the elite 2 or 3 in the country.
14. Virginia Tech-Hokie quarterback Logan Thomas is going to be exhausted by the end of the year from carrying the offense but he’s just good enough to do it.
15. Ohio State-Even though they aren’t bowl eligible this year, like USC last year the talent is all over the roster, and so for this I will include them.
16. Clemson-After the beatdown they took in the Orange Bowl, I am probably being too generous, but they have maybe the most explosive qb/wr combo in Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins.
17. Michigan State-After losing their 3 best players on offense, the Spartans will have to lean on a smothering defense while the other side of the ball gets up to speed.
18. Wisconsin-Turn and hand it off to Montee Ball. That’s the mantra to remember. The key will be getting that dominant offensive line back in line after losing players to the NFL.
19. Oklahoma State-The Cowboys have created a system that minimizes the role of the quarterback so whomever they plug in for Brandon Weeden should do just fine.
20. Nebraska-Notice a pattern here. Returning starting quarterback and running back, system that fits them well, nice schedule=success.
21. Florida-This is the point in my polls where things start to unravel. Just not enough good teams. Florida has to be better than last year and it has to start on defense where Coach Muschamp is at his best.
22. Stanford-No chance this team is as good as last year, but being the third best team in the PAC12 is probably about right to be ranked here.
23. Boise State-Another team that got gutted out this offseason. I know they have won a lot of games in the past 6 years, but I think this year they take a big step back.
24. TCU-I think TCU will be a pretty good team this year, probably better than this ranking, but they are going to be playing in a much tougher conference so we’ll see how they hold up.
25. Penn State-Probably 6 teams I could have plugged in here. These bottom 4 spots will shuffle and teams will fall in and out. I like Penn State’s running game enough to keep them in games.
Last Edited: 06/07/2012